U of M Makes Top 10 Jew-Hating Campuses in the Nation

Jacob Gregor, President

The University of Minnesota among the Top 10! Among the “Top Ten Jew-Hating Colleges and Universities,” that is, according to frontpagemag.com. This is not something that we as University of Minnesota students should be proud of. As stated in the frontpagemag.com article, author Sara Dogan stated, “It is now almost commonplace for swastikas to appear in university halls and restrooms or scrawled on Jewish fraternity houses.” The article also goes into the depth of evidence for all universities that made the list. 

Within the top ten list, schools are not ranked in order of anti-Semitic environment; the list solely provides the top ten universities that are most anti-Semitic. Universities that make the list include two other Big Ten schools, Rutgers and Michigan. The other seven most anti-Jew universities: University of Chicago, San Francisco State University, Arizona State University, University of California-Los Angeles, University of Houston, Florida State University, and Boston University. 

The University of Minnesota made the list for numerous reasons. There is a student group that is Hamas-funded which disparages the Jewish community called “Students for Justice in Palestine.” Every year, this group participates in “Israeli Apartheid Week.” This directly opposes the existence of the state of Israel. The University has also gone as far as to invite Palestinian, anti-Israel speakers to campus. More specifically, Mohammed El-Kurd, an anti-Semite, who advocates for the release of Palestinians who have committed murder. The group hosts an event during “Israelie Apartheid Week” called “Minneapolis to Palestine: Solidarity Against State Terror.” The announcement of the event online shows an image of two policemen, from the United States and Israel, who are restraining a small child. In January of this year, Mohammed El-Kurd came to speak at this event, and he was openly celebrating the escape of Palestinian terrorists who had been convicted of attacking innocent Israeli civilians. 

There are also two departments within the University that have signed statements in which they have promoted hatred toward Israel and the Jewish community. These departments are the Department of Race, Indigeneity, Gender, & Sexual Studies, also known as RIGS, and the Department of Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies, also known as GWSS. It is important to understand that not only are these departments officially representing the University and undergraduate students, but these statements go almost entirely against what the departments were created for in the first place.

In March 2021, a group of pro-Palestinian students drafted a letter in which the effort was to “Oppose Minnesota Hillel’s referendum to adopt the IHRA’s working definition of antisemitism” (frontpagemag.com). Hillel is a Jewish community on University Avenue near campus. It is a group of 40-plus students who have Jewish ties and try to serve the community. 

In November 2021, the campus newspaper The Minnesota Daily published an article attempting to dissolve the study abroad program which was created to offer the opportunity for students to travel to Israel. Thankfully, the University mentioned that they had no intentions to disband the program. 

There is a bright spot on campus: This very newspaper, The Minnesota Republic. 

“In stark contrast to The Minnesota Daily, The Minnesota Republic has always been staunchly pro-Israel,” said Kent Kaiser, Ph.D., who serves as advisor to Students for a Conservative Voice, which publishes The Minnesota Republic. “It’s completely embarrassing for our campus to have made the Top 10 Jew-Hating Colleges and Universities list.”

It’s completely embarrassing for our campus to have made the Top 10 Jew-Hating Colleges and Universities list”

— Kent Kaiser

It takes an entire University effort to spread the awareness of the anti-Semitic activities that are currently taking place on this campus. It is important to understand this and to make sure that we are representing the Jewish community, because enough is enough. Everyone has a right to be a student at this great University, and it is unconscionable for the University of Minnesota to continue to be on the “Top 10 Jew-Hating Colleges and Universities” list.

Go here to read the complete article, “Top 10 Jew-Hating Colleges and Universities,” go here.