Hogwarts Legacy

Hogwarts+Legacy

Thomas Olenchek, Contributor

Hogwarts legacy is a highly anticipated role-playing video game set in the Harry Potter universe. The game was released on February 10th and has become an instant hit. Hogwarts legacy is developed by Avalanche Software and published by Warner Bros. In the first two weeks of the games release it has earned $850 million in sales. Here are some of the features that the game includes.

Background: Hogwarts Legacy is set in the late 1800s, around 100 years before the events of the Harry Potter books and movies. While the game is set in a completely different era than the what we see in Harry Potter, players are still able to encounter iconic characters such as Dumbledore, Hagrid, and Snape. The game allows players to create their own character which will be a student attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Which creating your character the game asks you to choose which Hogwarts House you want to belong to.

Once you have enrolled you will attend classes in various magical subjects, such as potions, transfiguration, and defense against the dark arts. The classes you take within Hogwarts will allow you to unlock and use now spells and other forms of advanced magic. The game has an open-world environment that allows players to explore. Players can freely explore the Hogwarts castle, grounds, and even the dark forest that borders the grounds. The Castle and grounds are filled with hints towards the game that bring a great sense of nostalgia.

When exploring the dark forest players will encounter dark beasts that they can use the spells they have learned in class to defeat them. The game also includes a morality system that allows players to make choices that affect the story and their character’s reputation and relationships. In other words players have the ability to be good or dark wizards through the story. Hogwarts legacy features an advanced combat system that relies on controller/keyboard mouse mechanics to cast spells, dodge and block attacks, and heal. The game has been given high praise for the the interactive game play. While the reviews for Hogwarts Legacy have been overall good, there are still some negative thoughts about it.

The first negative outlook on the game is that it is purely single player. Harry Potter fans were hopeful that the game would feature a multiplayer system where you could battle other players as well as work together to defeat monsters or other wizards. One huge Harry Potter fan, George Merkt stated his disappointment with it being purely single player when he stated, “I was so excited to attend Hogwarts Classes with all my friends, so we could fool around and pass notes behind the professor’s back.” Good news for PC players is that there is already a multiplayer mod in the works. The mod will allow players on different PC’s to play the game together in story mode and participate in combat against each other. The mod will also include other player models and spell that are not included in the game.

I was so excited to attend Hogwarts Classes with all my friends, so we could fool around and pass notes behind the professor’s back

— George Merkt

Other criticism of the game comes from the story of the game. Players were concerned with the large plot holes that are found through the story that are simply explained by the game being set in a magical world. Things such as villains appearing out of thin air after previously being thousands of miles away are left without explanation.

With the criticism aside, Hogwarts Legacy is quite an exciting addition to the Harry Potter world that all Harry Potter fans can be excited about. Weather you are a gamer or not I would highly recommend you get the game and enjoy the addition to the universe.