Misinformed hatred

left-vs-right-politics

left-vs-right-politics

Susan Douglas, a professor of communications at the University of Michigan, wrote an article for In These Times, which was originally titled “We Can’t All Just Get Along.” The editor then changed the title to “It’s Okay to Hate Republicans” before the original title was restored as the author claimed the new title was “not representative of the piece or it’s main points.”

The first sentence of Professor Douglas’ article is, “I hate Republicans.”

In her article, Professor Douglas decries the modern Republican party as being devoid of moderates. She blames Republicans for the modern day climate of partisan bickering, and says, “a series of studies” show that Republicans have psychological tendencies towards a things such as “dogmatism” and “support for authoritarianism.” She claims that political conservatism and social intolerance are necessarily the same thing.

It is amusing that anyone on the left can deride the right as being authoritarian. Seeing as conservatives view the expansion of government as a bad thing, and favor reading the Constitution as it was written, they can hardly be accused of, as Merriam-Webster puts it, “favoring a concentration of power in a leader or an elite not constitutionally responsible to the people.” Those who support President Obama and his slew of executive actions however…

Professor Douglas also cites a study where participants were asked to review the resumes of high school seniors and select which ones would receive scholarships. Overwhelmingly partisans selected students whose party identification matched their own. This is an interesting point to make on Douglas’ part, seeing as academics are so liberal. As Douglas decries former Vice-President Spiro Agnew’s comment that intellectuals are an “effete corps of impudent snobs,” she obviously missed the study by sociologists Ethan Fosse of Harvard and Professor Neil Gross of the University of British Columbia that concluded that professors are more likely to identify as liberals than any other line of work. Forty-three percent of professors identify as liberal, with only nine percent identifying as conservative. Out of all workers only fourteen percent identified as liberal, while twenty percent identified as conservative. If Professor Douglas is so concerned about political handouts via scholarship, she should be more than happy to see more of her peers be those Republicans that she hates so much.

This paper has already disproved the falsehood that Douglas, as a mouthpiece of liberalism, spouts; that all Republicans hate minorities and the LGBT community. (See Keep Your Lip Service and The LGBT-Republican Narrative)

Douglas also decries the attacks on President Bill Clinton that arose following the Monica Lewinsky scandal as being purely partisan. Really. She defends a man who slept with an intern and lied about it under oath before Congress. The reason Democrats haven’t attacked Republicans for something like that, is because Republicans haven’t done something like that on that scale.

Douglas calls out Republicans politicians and pundits as if they create a worldview that demonizes the opposite party. This is the height of hypocrisy considering she wrote this article with the inflammatory first sentence of “I hate Republicans.”

Professor Douglas is as much of a shill as anybody. Her first sentence is meant to draw readers in so she can complain about how evil Republicans are. The party of “tolerance” once again fails to practice what it preaches, as their true worldview of tolerance for everybody (unless you disagree with us) shines through.