Students Demand University Remove Misogynist Art

Madison Dibble

As national trends demand, students at the University of Minnesota are out for blood—or maybe statue dust. Local governments removed monuments to   Robert E. Lee, The Ten Commandments, and many others after fearless millennials took to Twitter to ensure that all history is buried.

At the University of Minnesota, students set their targets on the Spannungsfeld” artwork in front of the  Physics and Nanotechnology Building. The “Spannungsfeld” is an artwork of a woman kneeling. As you walk past the statue, the structural design makes the woman invisible.

What an un-woke person might call a marvelous work of art, the students at the university are calling a misogynist work of art.

“The art needs to go,” stated feminist leader Sara Roe. “Women are invisible in society often enough. We do not need a monument glorifying that.”

The art has many disturbing qualities, beginning with the position of the woman. According to Roe, the woman is kneeling which signifies the belief that women must be submissive and inferior to their male counterparts.

The most troubling aspect of the art, however, is the design itself. From the front of the artwork, the woman is completely invisible.

“From the White House to the C Suite, women are not seen.  Society is structured to ensure that women remain invisible. This art is also structured so that you cannot see women. It is disturbing to, say the least.”

Roe also found the art’s placement to be of concern. The art is located in front of the Physics and Nanotechnology building which are two male-dominated areas of study.

“The lack of women in STEM has nothing to do with the fact that women have different preferences and has everything to do with misogynistic art. How is a woman supposed to major in physics when they have to pass that demeaning artwork every day?”

Roe went on to say that a statue is an object.

“Women are treated like objects in every part of our society. While I can jam out to some objectifying music, I can’t be reminded of it when I look at an actual object that is made to look like a woman.”

While most students support Roe and the other feminists, a few frat stars spoke out in support of the art.

“I don’t see a problem with the art,” stated Chad Star of Sigma Apple Pie. “There is a man directly across from the woman in the same position that also disappears. This university is majority-female. I don’t see them as victims.”

Upon further investigation, Star’s statement proved to be true.

When asked if Roe believed in removing the male statue, Roe stated that the male statue should stay.

“I think the male statue is a powerful statement. To me, it says ‘I see right through your misogynist agenda,’ and it’s empowering the battle against the patriarchy.”

As of today, the university administration has not made any promises to remove the statue. In one interview, President Kaler stated, “For the love of God. Please stop talking to me. Can’t you see that I would rather die than interact with you.”

While the statement and the university administration is unclear, Roe is optimistic that the statue will be removed.

“Honestly, the University administration is so big and unorganized that I usually just go from Provost to Provost until I bump into one who hates men as much as I do and they usually just run with it,” stated Roe.

“Add in a couple of protests and a walkout, and I think the statue will be gone by the end of the week.”