Ice Skating Brought to you by Van Cleve Park

Charlie Rapheal, Editor

The ice skating rinks at Van Cleve Park are well under way in response to the colder weather around the University of Minnesota. The park is managed by Minneapolis Parks and Recreation Board, and they have set up the boards for two separate rinks to be slowly created as the temperature continues to decrease. Last year, the Van Cleve also had two different rinks, as well as ice that surrounded the two rinks.

This provided the opportunity for a more relaxed experience, and it looks like the Park Board is going for that again. Soon, students and residents of the University of Minnesota and Como area will be able to lace up some skates, and embrace this winter weather on the ice. Then, when they get cold, they can head into the warming house. 

Last year, Van Cleve was busy with skaters almost every night, even on days with very low temperatures. A few friends and I also walked over there a few times, carrying our skates and sticks, and played pickup games with other people. One Tuesday night when it was already getting dark, we were surprised to see that there were still a good amount of other people there, all skating. The turnout should be similar this year, and I’m excited to get back on the ice. It is a perfect place to meet new people, get some exercise, and get back into skating or hockey. 

“I can’t wait to get back on the ice at Van Cleve, it’s a great spot to play hockey and meet up with friends. It’s fun to revisit the past and revive the competition I had back when I played hockey in youth organizations and high school”

I can’t wait to get back on the ice at Van Cleve, it’s a great spot to play hockey and meet up with friends. It’s fun to revisit the past and revive the competition I had back when I played hockey in youth organizations and high school

Within the past week, the weather has been just barely staying below freezing, and we haven’t gotten much snow. This is ideal for creating the rinks we skate on because too much snow can create slushy and choppy ice, which compounds as more and more snow comes. If the weather continues to stay where it’s at or even drops a little lower, while maintaining little snow, the conditions should be perfect and there should be two rinks ready in no time. 

Additionally, Winter Break is upon students and this is the perfect time to get out and be active. For students staying at the University of Minnesota between fall and spring semester or for those who live close by, it’s a great opportunity to get out and have fun during break.

The rinks at Van Cleve have a long history of providing nearby residents and college students the opportunity to skate. The park was established over a century ago in 1890, and the oldest reports show that in the winter of 1891, there was an ice rink created. Also, there was a warming house there in those years, however it is different from the one we have today. The old warming house was temporary, and was taken down each year. 

In the summer, Van Cleve offers an array of amenities as well. There are a variety of fields and courts, like the baseball field, basketball court, and tennis courts as well as a playground and a picnic area. There is also a “wading pool” that’s often busy with families with small children on hot days. For more information about the park, you can check out the Minneapolis Park and Recreation website for Van Cleve

If Van Cleve isn’t within walking distance or too far of a commute, you can also check out some indoor rinks like Northeast Ice Arena or Parade Ice Garden.