Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Review

Austin Lentz, Editor

A new generation of Pokémon is upon us. “Pokémon: Scarlet and Violet” are the latest games dawning the “Pokémon” title. These new games make up the ninth generation of Pokémon games. 

This generation’s location is the Paldea region which has a heavy-handed Spanish influence on it. The Paldea region has been confirmed to be based on the country of Spain. 

“Scarlet & Violet ” initially released on November 18, 2022, falling in line with the holiday release dates the fans have become accustomed to. “Scarlet & Violet” arrives on the backs of last year’s successful release “Pokémon: Legends Arceus.” 

“Pokémon: Legends Arceus’ ‘ took a new spin on the franchise going into the past with the Hisuian region, to be known as the Sinnoh region in the present. Trainers found themselves in a semi-open game, allowing for vast exploration of the region. 

“Pokémon: Scarlet and Violet” took this openness even further. Trainers are set out on a “treasure hunt” with three separate paths that can be completed in any order. In theory, players can complete the gyms first, then Operation Starfall which is this region’s Team Rocket, and finally ending with the Path of Legends where players take on huge versions of powerful Pokémon. 

I highly recommend players to jump around from each story arc as the opponent’s Pokémon levels do not scale depending on your mon’s levels. 

Upon the release of “Pokémon: Scarlet and Violet” the internet was set ablaze by the state of the game. Numerous hilarious bugs and glitches were posted all over, but the frame rate and aesthetics of the game were also called into question. 

From my experience of completing the game for “research purposes” I never found the bugs to be over the top annoying. I often found myself laughing out loud at how preposterous some of them were. Other players of the game were not so amused as to what they think a $60 Pokémon game should be. 

However, the quest to catch ‘em all is never done. “Pokémon: Scarlet and Violet” boast 103 new Pokémon from the region. Brand new typings are the name of the game for these titles. Steel/Fairy, Dragon/Ice, Fire/Grass, and more are all brand new typings. For those who are unaware, these typings are super effective on each other. 

Another first for the Pokémon games is the variations between “Scarlet and Violet.” There should be no surprise that there are version-exclusive Pokémon between the two games. However; “Scarlet and Violet” feature two different professors, Turo and Sada. Those familiar with Spanish know that these are parts of the words Futuro and Pasada. Future and Past. 

This is the basis of these games that have to do with Pokémon traveling from either the past or future and wreaking havoc on the Paldea region. These past and future forms of Pokémon are called Paradox Pokémon. Some, even fan favorite Pokémon like Tyranitar, Salamence, and Donphan. 

I have yet to fully complete the Pokédex and become a Pokémon Master, however, I have played through three paths and completed the “treasure hunt.” The postgame is as expansive as you could imagine, catching legendaries, and “Area Zero” is opened up to you to catch the Paradox Pokémon. 

I could not rave more about “Pokémon: Scarlet and Violet” I have been smiling and laughing throughout my time with the games. If you are someone with a Nintendo Switch and have enjoyed playing Pokémon in the past “Pokémon: Scarlet and Violet” are no-brainers for this holiday season. 

With rumors of DLC in the future, the game will continue to add more Pokémon and new adventures to boot. 

I give “Pokémon: Scarlet and Violet” an 8.5/10.