George Santos: Congressional Con-Man

Alex Sharp, Contributor

Election season is always an exciting time. Whether it be student elections, midterms, or the fabled Presidential election, the buzz and the conversation are unmatched. However, the anticipation can sometimes turn into dread post-election, and this year was no different. Running for New York’s third congressional district was a man named George Santos. A first-generation American whose parents immigrated from Brazil “in search of the American dream.” His mother was in the South Tower during the 9/11 attacks but survived them.

With his “extensive work in capital introduction, real estate, capital markets, bio-tech and M&A,” and a degree from Baruch College in New York he seemed like the perfect fit for the congressional position. There was only one problem – he made it all up – and admitted to it in an interview with the New York Post, saying: “My sins here are embellishing my resume. I’m sorry.” Santos never went to college, he never worked with companies like Goldman Sachs, stating that the lie was a “poor choice of words.” He even was caught in a lie about dressing in drag – a lie that some internet gurus caught him in, which he later admitted to.

It paints an interesting picture of Santos – why lie about something so silly, something that nobody would really care about if he had never fibbed? But the lies do not end there. Frivolous fibs about owning “13 properties” fell apart as Santos revealed he lives with his sister and is looking to buy his own place. According to NBC, records show that his mother was not even in the United States when the 9/11 attacks occurred. Despite all these lies and accusations, Santos is deadset on serving his two-year term. “I campaigned talking about the people’s concerns, not my resume” he said to the New York Post. Santos was also caught misusing his campaign loans and funds.

He claimed that lent his campaign a staggering $700,000, yet according to CNN, two filings with the FEC show that $500,000 and $125,000 had been donated from unmarked accounts. While candidates can put an unlimited amount of their own funds to their campaigns, it is illegal to accept a six-figure contribution from someone else. Santos ran for congress and failed in 2020, and his personal financial disclosure form listed $55,000 as his salary. Now, Santos reported a $750,000 salary from a firm called Devolder Organization. He mentioned in an interview that Devolder is based in “deal building” with “high net worth individuals.”

He also mentioned that it was his family’s firm, and did not go further than that. This story is not the first time someone has lied about their resume to gain a competitive advantage. In fact, lying and embellishment are things that most of us do every day. But do our public officials owe us their greatest honesty? Some students think so. The University of Minnesota Senior Jack Radomski said: “I think he should resign because he said he had certain skills, a certain background, and was elected under false pretenses.”

As more and more GOP lawmakers and US citizens call for him to resign, the less he believes that he should back down. In a December tweet, he stated this: “To the people of #NY03 I have my story to tell and it will be told next week. I want to assure everyone that I will address your questions and that I remain committed to deliver the results I campaigned on; Public Safety, Inflation, Education & more.” His stance on his lies is clear. They are no big deal, and he is prepared to commit himself to the duties for which he was elected.