Murderer on the Loose

Thomas Olenchek, Contributor

Ralph Apmann is a 58-year-old man from Windom, Minnesota. On Febuary 13, 2023, Apmann was found guilty for the second-degree unintentional murder of Morales Rivera. On August 26, 2021 Rivera was found dead outside the Phat Pheasant Pub in Windom, Minnesota. It was later found that Ralph Apmann was the last person to be seen with Rivera.

When questioned by the police, Apmann stated that Rivera was interfering and causing problems with patrons at the Phat Pheasant Pub. Apmann said that he took Rivera to the backroom to play a couple games of pool. After pool the two went out back to share a cigarette when Rivera took a swing at Apmann. Apmann stated that he and Rivera wrestled and Apmann put Rivera in a choke hold until Rivera stopped struggling. Apmann stated that when he left the altercation Rivera was taking “deep loud breaths.”

Apmann and his daughter left the bar after the altercation without telling anyone about the fight. When Rivera was found, he was unresponsive and a medical response team was contacted. Rivera was rushed to the hospital where he was found dead, “suffering numerous injuries to his neck consistent with neck compression.”

Apmann’s was then charged with second-degree unintentional murder and his trial was set for February 13, 2023. In October, Apmann posted his $150,000 bail and was set free from prison. On the morning of the trial Apmann did not appear in court and a warrant for his arrest was posted. The court has also issued a guilty sentence for Appman. A second-degree murder charge in Minnesota can carry a penalty of imprisonment for no more than forty years if found guilty.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) is currently looking for Apmann without any luck. With a second-degree murder conviction and a conviction of being a fugitive from justice Apmann could be facing 45 years or more of imprisonment.

The fugitive Ralph Apmann is described as being 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighs 230 pounds, with hazel eyes and gray, receding hair. Windom schools have been placed on lockdown and police presence is required as the BCA looks form Apmann. 8 days ago the BCA made a statement that Apmann is considered armed and dangerous and that they suspect he is somewhere in the Twin Cities merto area. The BCA also suspects that he is armed with a 9mm handgun and an AR-15 rifle.

The BCA has made it clear this if you do see Apmann you should not approach him and instead call 911 immediately. Having an armed fugitive in the twin cities area is a terrifying scenario for students on the University of Minneapolis campus.  With mass shootings hitting an all time highs this far into the new year, students are concerned for their safety.

It is the students hope that Apmann does not make his way onto campus with malicious intent. The university will work with state and city law enforcement to ensure the safety of its students and faculty members.

One University of Minnesota student Alex Sharp stated “I don’t think the public should live in fear, but we should all know his face. It is not our job to apprehend him, that is the job of law enforcement. I know that they will do their best to keep citizens safe.”