Christmas at University of Minnesota

Jack Radomski, Editor

Students have returned home from Thanksgiving break and the libraries are full of students studying for finals. That can only mean one thing: Christmas is upon us. Although most students will be going home for the actual holiday, there are events on University of Minnesota’s campus and within the greater Twin Cities that students can attend to get into the holiday spirit. 

December 9-10

Event: December Gift Market at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. 

Time: Friday, 5 pm.-10 pm, Saturday, 10 am-4.pm

Location: 3675 Arboretum Drive, Chaska, MN, 55318 

Information: A great event for those people who are difficult to shop for. There will be a wide variety of gifts, many made locally, that you can explore. Learn more here.

December 10

Event: Winter Lights Pop Up 

Time: 5 pm-10 pm and continuing until January 1. View the full schedule here.

Information: This family-friendly outdoor light display will get you in the Christmas spirit and give you a newfound appreciation of nature, as the .75 mile walk showcases the flowers, trees, and other natural wonders at the University of Minnesota Arboretum. After your stroll, you can roast marshmallows by the fire or get a full meal at The Eatery at the Arboretum. The visitor center will also be open for gift shopping and for people who want to marvel at the 25 foot poinsettia tree made from 500 red, white, and pink poinsettias. You can read a full description of this event here

December 10-11

Event: VocalEssence: Welcome Christmas

Time: 7:30 pm

Location: 84 Church St SE, Minneapolis, MN, 55455

Information: This musical event will hit the stage of Northrop Auditorium on Saturday, December 10, and Sunday, December 11. Come to hear the University of Minnesota’s Brass Ensemble and Northrop’s Aeolian-Skinner Opus 892 pipe organ live in concert. For the first time, all of VocalEssence will be performing together. They invite you to attend and to bring your singing voice as you are encouraged to sing along to all of the familiar Christmas carols!

December 16-31

Event: Heart & Solstice

Time: 10am-4pm

Location: 2088 Larpenteur Avenue W, Falcon Heights, MN, 55108

Information: This event is centered around the winter solstice and will take place at the Bell Museum on the St. Paul campus. The museum invites guests to “take a winter walk through the galleries, learn about winter constellations in the planetarium, visit the temporary exhibit Narwhal: Revealing an Arctic Legend, get creative with a scrimshaw art activity, and more.” Learn more here.  

Take a winter walk through the galleries, learn about winter constellations in the planetarium, visit the temporary exhibit Narwhal: Revealing an Arctic Legend, get creative with a scrimshaw art activity, and more

December 31

Event: NYE Party at Winter Lights

Time: 5pm

Information: After you’ve visited all of the Christmas events that the University of Minnesota has to offer, New Year’s Eve will be right around the corner. Live music, games, and a family-friendly atmosphere makes this a perfect way to ring in the new year. You can make a craft to take home with you and commemorate the night and you can add your wish for the new year to the New Year Wish Tree. Make your reservations in advance. Admission cost is $15 for Arboretum members, $30 for non members, and $5 for children 15 and younger. This is a great opportunity to take advantage of the university’s resources! 

There is light at the end of the tunnel. Exams, final essays, and group projects will all be over soon and the university will be gearing up for the holiday season along with its students. If you are around campus this holiday season, or if you are up for a drive, I recommend checking out the Christmas events around campus. These low-or-no-cost events are a great way to support the university and to bring some holiday cheer into your life and the semester comes to an end.