April Events at The University of Minnesota

Maggie Fliszar, Editor

The University of Minnesota has a wide range of events scheduled for the month of April, with something to appeal to every student’s interests. These events include virtual and in-person events planned by Student Events and Entertainment, exhibitions at the Coffman Memorial Union and St. Paul Student Center, and film screenings at the Coffman Memorial Union Theater and St. Paul Student Center Theater.

One of the most exciting events taking place in April is Spring Jam™ 2023, which will be held on Saturday, April 22nd at 3:00 p.m. in LOT 37, UMN-Twin Cities Campus. This event promises to be a fun-filled day of music, food, and activities, and is sure to be a highlight of the spring semester.

Another event that is sure to be popular among students is the Care Packages event, which is currently offering a spring selection for order. Students can pick up their care packages at Coffman Memorial Union’s Gopher Express, making this an easy and convenient way to surprise friends or loved ones with a thoughtful gift.

For those interested in art, the Coffman Memorial Union is hosting several exhibitions in April. The Second Floor Gallery is currently showcasing Midwest Women, which runs from March 16th to April 23rd. A reception for this exhibit will be held on Friday, April 7th from 5-7pm. Through Open Eyes is another exhibit to look forward to, running from April 26th to June 11th, with a reception on April 27th from 5-7pm.

For students interested in sustainability, Sustainable Spring will be taking place from April to May at the Gopher Express, Gopher Express West, and Gopher Spot. This event is a great opportunity to learn about ways to live more sustainably and to take action to protect our planet.

Film lovers will be excited to know that April Films will be screening Back to the 80s and The Outsiders at the Coffman Memorial Union Theater and St. Paul Student Center Theater on select Fridays and Saturdays throughout the month. There will also be showings of Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Dead Poets Society on April 21st-22nd and April 28th, respectively.

For those looking for some fun and games, there are several events to choose from. Tringo, a combination of trivia and bingo, will be held on April 13th at Coffman Memorial Union’s Goldy’s Gameroom, and a Bingo Night centered around boy bands will be held on April 19th. Another Bingo Night centered around self-care and mental health will take place on April 26th. Additionally, a Pop Culture Trivia Night and a One Direction Trivia Night will be held on April 20th and April 27th, respectively.

Other events to look out for include Art of Bloom on April 13th, a Titanic Float-In Movie on April 14th, a Casino Night on April 15th, and an Open Mic Night (Music Only) on April 18th. Pins & Needles will take place on April 21st, while Strike Out Stress will be held on April 25th at Coffman Memorial Union’s Goldy’s Gameroom. Finally, the Music Industry Job Series will host Andrea Swensson on May 1st in a virtual event.

The University of Minnesota has a diverse range of events planned for the month of April. Whether students are interested in music, art, sustainability, or simply having fun, there are plenty of opportunities to get involved and make the most of the spring semester.