10 Greatest Minnesota Twins

Will Schiffler, Contributor

1. Justin Morneau

Justin Morneau played his entire nine-year career with the Minnesota Twins as a first baseman and a designated hitter. During his career, Morneau was a four-time All-Star, two-time Silver Slugger, and, in 2006, the American League MVP. During the 2006 season, Morneau recorded a .321 batting average, 34 home runs, and 130 RBI.

1. Torii Hunter

Throughout Torii Hunter’s 11 seasons with the Twins, he was one of the best defensive players to play the game. Hunter won seven Gold Glove awards and one All-Star appearance as a centerfielder. During his four postseason appearances with Minnesota, he accumulated a batting average of over .300. 

1. Johan Santana

Johan Santana played eight seasons for the Twins, where he was one of the most dominating pitchers of his time. Santana won 93 of his 175 starts for the Twins and was a two-time All-Star and two-time American League Cy Young Award winner. 

1. Bert Blyleven 

Bert Blyleven played 11 seasons with the Minnesota Twins as a starting pitcher. Blyleven was an essential part of Minnesota’s first MLB championship in 1987. Blyleven recorded 149 wins as a starting pitcher for the Twins and pitched 141 complete games. Blyleven continued to contribute to the Twins organization after his career as a color commentator. Blyleven’s jersey number was retired, and he was inducted into the MLB Hall of Fame in 2011.

1. Kent Hrbek

Kent Hrbek played his entire career for the Minnesota Twins and was one of the biggest power hitters in franchise history. Hrbek finished his career with 293 home runs throughout his 15 seasons with the Twins. Hrbek’s most significant accomplishments occurred while winning two World Series Championships in Minnesota. Hrbek’s jersey number was retired by the Twins in 1995. 

1. Joe Mauer

Cretin Durham Hall High School graduate Joe Mauer was the hometown hero for 15-seasons with the Minnesota Twins. Mauer was the first catcher to win the American League batting title. He accomplished this title three times throughout his career in 2006, 2008, and 2009. In 2009, Mauer’s batting title led him to win the American League MVP with a batting average of .365, 96 RBI, and 23 home runs. Mauer retired as an all-time great in Minnesota, and his jersey number was retired by the Twins in 2019. 

1. Tony Oliva

Tony Oliva played for the Twins as an exceptional infielder and batter. He was an eight-time All-Star, one-time Gold Glove award, and the 1964 American League Rookie of the Year. Oliva finished his career as the Twins all-time leader in stolen bases in a single season and held a .304 batting average. 

1. Rod Carew

Rod Carew is considered the best hitter of all time for the Minnesota Twins, where he won seven batting titles. Carew played 12 of his 19 seasons with Minnesota, where he was a 12-time All-Star, the 1967 American League Rookie of the Year, and the 1977 American League MVP. During Carew’s 1977 MVP season, he recorded a .388 batting average, 14 home runs, 100 RBI, and 239 hits. Carew’s jersey number was retired by the Twins in 1987, and he was inducted into the MLB Hall of Fame in 1991. 

1. Harmon Killebrew

Harmon Killebrew played 22 seasons in the MLB, where he hit 559 of his 573 career home runs for the Minnesota Twins. He was an 11-time All-Star and the 1969 American League MVP throughout his career. Killebrew was a pivotal player for the Twins franchise and the Twin Cities community. In 1975, Killebrew’s jersey number was retired by the Twins, and he was inducted into the MLB Hall of Fame in 1984.

One significant at-bat that Kirby Puckett had occurred in Game 6 of the 1991 World Series, where he hit a walk-off home run to force Game 7, where the Twins went on to win the World Series

1. Kirby Puckett

The Minnesota Twins drafted Kirby Puckett in 1982 as the third overall pick. He played his entire career for the Twins, an essential piece of the team’s World Series Championships in 1987 and 1991. The Chicago, Illinois, native played in the MLB for 12 seasons, where he had an abundance of accolades on the field. Kirby was a 10-time All-Star, six-time Gold Glove winner, and six-time Silver Slugger award winner. Puckett was also the ALCS MVP in the Twins 1991 World Series Championship run. One significant at-bat Puckett had occurred in Game 6 of the 1991 World Series, where he hit a walk-off home run to force Game 7, and then the Twins went on to win the World Series. The Twins retired his jersey number in 1997, and he was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2001.