Rankings within the UMN show Bright Future Ahead

Haley Wolff, Contributor

The 2022-23 College rankings are in and it is time to see where the University of Minnesota- Twin Cities stands!

U.S. News & World Resort compared over 1500 US bachelor’s degree-granting institutions based on 17 different categories, creating 10 different rankings. The main categories used in deciding these rankings are8 graduation and retention rates, social mobility, graduation rate performance, undergraduate academic reputation, faculty resources for the 21-22 academic year, student selectivity for the fall 2021 entering class, financial resources, average alum giving rate, and lastly, graduate indebtedness. The University of Minnesota Twin Cities has one of the top freshman retention rates at 93.0%, according to College Factual, which also says the average retention rate is only about 69.0%. Additionally, the graduation rate at the UMN has improved so significantly in the last 20 years, it is now considered one of the greatest turnarounds among all doctoral-granting institutions in the United States.

The university comes in at #62 in the “National Universities” ranking according to U.S. News.  This ranking looks at the range of undergraduate majors, both master’s and doctoral programs, and puts an emphasis on faculty research and awards professional practice doctorates. The University of Minnesota offers masters and doctoral degrees in more than 130 programs. With award-winning, internationally renowned experts, students are prepared in numerous fields including, but not limited to, science, art, engineering, agriculture, medicine, and humanities. The undergraduate colleges within the university itself range on a large scale, each offering unique opportunities and programs.

The numerous colleges have each made their own mark in countless ways. For example, the College of Liberal Arts (CLA) is a top-ranked research university. The College of Science and Engineering undergraduate program has been ranked #4 in the nation by CollegeChoice.net. The College of Education and Human Development has been deemed #1 in Developmental Psychology, #13 best public education graduate program, and #22 best education graduate school according to the 2020 edition of the US News and World Report.

When it comes to research, the University of Minnesota doesn’t shy from the light. The Academic Ranking of World Universities places the university 9th among public research universities in the United States, and 18th among public research universities in the world. Secondly, The University of Minnesota is also a member of the Association of American Universities, a highly regarded organization made up of only 62 research universities in the United States and Canada that “advance society through education, research, and discovery.” Thirdly, in 2019, the UMN got ranked 17th in the world for the 0total number of U.S. patents granted by the National Academy of Inventors. Lastly, according to the “Top American Research Universities” report, the University of Minnesota Twin Cities ranks eighth for faculty awards received, ninth for research expenditures, and tenth for annual giving among public universities.

None of this can be done without the work of students. Together the student body ranks first among the public universities in the Big Ten and fourth among public universities in the U.S. in the number of National Merit Scholars. It is the commitment of the faculty and staff of the University that drives these numbers. The constant expansion, curiosity, and comradery of student life make this university a place to thrive and flourish. No matter where you look you can find the right program and fit at the UMN. As the world and student body evolve, so does the school. Adaption continues at the University in order to secure a future of bright paths and opportunities for those that attend, which is demonstrated by the rankings displayed above and those in the future to come.