Spring Events at the University of Minnesota

Maggie Fliszar, Editor

Class is back in full swing at the University of Minnesota after a well-deserved winter break. Activities and events are plentiful around campus and offer fun opportunities for a wide range of interests. “I like going to these events with my roommate, it’s a great way to meet other U of M students”, said Chloe S. a sophomore at the U. From Bingo and Trivia nights to tie blanket making with the P.A.W.S program, U of MN students have a ton of events to check out. In this article, a few of these exciting events will be outlined.

• On Thursday, January 26th students of the School of Music will host the Chinese Festival “Music for the Soul, Art for Life” to highlight the ever-expanding prevalence of Chinese art and culture in the metro area. The festival aims to display the achievements of Chinese and Chinese- American musicians and artists. This is a great opportunity for students to learn more about the Chinese lunar New Year which occurs from Jan 22, 2023 to February 5th, 20263. The event is free and open to the public.
  • Starting January 25th, 2023 students can participate in Bingo Night every Wednesday in  Goldy’s Gameroom. Each week the bingo game has a new theme. Some notable themes include sports, boy bands, foodies, book tok, and technology. Located in Coffman Memorial Union, Goldy’s Gameroom hosts many fun events throughout the year. F22 Bingo Night_Event Page.jpg
  • Students who prefer to test their trivia knowledge over their bingo luck can attend Trivia Night in Goldy’s Gameroom every Thursday night. The themes range from Nickelodeon to Game of Thrones, and much more in between. 
  • Following Goldy’s Gameroom theme, the Student Unions and Activities is hosting the “Rock ‘n Bowl” event. Attendees will be treated to live band karaoke and bowling. Bowling costs $3 per game and the show and shoes are free. 
  • Coffman Memorial Union will be hosting Siena Liggins, one of Billboard’s Top Ten Rising LGBTQ artists on Saturday, January 28th. With over 2.5 million streams, Siena has demonstrated her rapid rise as an artist. Tickets range from $5-10 and can be found on Eventbrite. 
  • American independent entertainment company A24 has been described by some as the most unique production company in the world. With massive hits such as Uncut Gems, Spring Breakers, and Midsommar the company has exploded in popularity since its inception in 2012. Students at the University of Minnesota will have the opportunity to see a new A24 film every week at the Coffman Memorial Union Theater and Saint Paul Student Center Theater beginning January 20th.
  • Calling all animal lovers! Student Unions and Activities are collaborating with Pet Away Stress (P.A.W.S) on Friday, January 27th from 1:00- 4:00 PM. At this event, students will have the opportunity to make their own tie blankets for themselves and their pets a tie blanket. There will also be several animals from the P.A.W.S program available for students to interact with. 
  • The Whole Music Club will be hosting Round 1 of Battle of the Bands on Friday, February 3rd. Bands will compete at this event for a chance to perform in the Spring Jam Final Battle on April 22nd. Round 1 bands include Chinatown Snakes, Gentle Brass, Scivticv, and Virginia’s Basement.
  • For those who enjoy the season of winter, the Art of Winter presents an opportinity for cocoa, mug painting, and coaster knitting. Those who are newcomers to knitting are in luck as the UMN Knitting Club will be providing guidance to those in attendance. The event will take place in the Great Hall of Coffman Memorial Union. 

Above are just some of the many events hosted throughout the semester on campus. For those looking for more information on events going on in the next couple of months, the Student Unions & Activities maintains a calendar of events at https://sua.umn.edu/events